Friday, July 16, 2010

Stephenie Meyer talks about Angryward, Rob's best day on the Eclipse set and so much more

Twifans sat down with the talented Stephenie Meyer to find out about her insights and opinions on her best selling books turning into this mega money making movies.

Stephenie Meyer has had more and more say when it comes to how the movies are made from her beautifully written books. It's hard to get every scene in a 2 hour movie just as it was written in a 629 page book. Stephenie gives advice and guidance when she can. We are very excited that Stephenie will be a producer on 'Breaking Dawn 1 & 2' even though she has taken a very active role in 'Eclipse.'

Ultimately Stephenie Meyer's opinion on the movies is very important to book fans. Usually we tend to agree with the talented lady that wrote the saga. So we brought up some questions in our interview hoping to get down to the bottom of the movie discussions we have had here on twifans.

THE LOVE OF ANGRYWARD


Angryward...would we say he is a fan favorite!?! Most girl fans are loving Angryward. We think it's because he is the most unrestrained and most like a vampire. What do you think Stephenie thinks of Angryward and Edward threatening Jacob for kissing Bella? Does she agree, does she thinks he's hot?

In the books, after the first kiss and subsequent face punch; Edward threatens Jacob and he was calm, dead calm. In 'Eclipse" movie, Edward gets a little physical and unrestrained. What did Stephenie Meyer think of that?

Transcription:

Kim: Okay, we have a question about the Angry Edward, and how hot he is. When he gets angry, he pulls up, and he’s like…ya know……if you ever touch her against her will again. All the fans just love it. We all love it and everybody went crazy. The members, our members, we all wanna know about angry Edward.

Alison: Why do you think the fandom thinks Angry Edward is SO hot?

SM: Ya know it’s funny about this scene, and Meghan’s giving me the eye. That’s the one I walked out on, on the dailies because in my head that scene was so much different. In the movie Edward is quite separate motivation-ally from the book Edward. At this point in the film in the story for me he’s gotten past this. Like he’s realized “I can’t act like a teenage boy anymore. I have to give her space. I have to be the mature one here.” And in that scene in the book, he has, icy calm control. He is very gentle. He is very soft spoken. He is very mature. So when I see him….and plus ya know, the movies are unable to bring to life some of the elements in the mythology. If Edward had, in anger, grabbed Jacob by the shoulder, his arm would have come off. And the fact that Taylor is uninjured, and that he just kind of sits there…..bothered me. So I'm like…wait! If we are gonna go for it, tear his arm off. Ya know. And it’s hard for them, because blood puts you over the limit and stuff, and they would not tear off Jacob’s arm. I’m like….if we want angry Edward, I wanna see some blood. They had already filmed that day, so we couldn’t redo it but, people have responded really well to it.

Kim: That is the thing because it is different than the book.

Alison: He's as close to a vampire as we’ve seen him, because he was so restrained.

SM: And restraint is pretty much his middle name. And we don’t have the scene early in the book, where she comes back from La Push, and he’s like “are you trying to make me insane?” He really lost it. We don’t have that evolution where he goes overboard. We have a little bit, the battery disabling. Which is really over the line, and then he’s supposed to learn and he’s supposed to stop. By that point, we’re so far in, it’s like….”why is he still acting like this?” But okay, it is hot…I’ll give you that.

Kim: It turned out well considering it was a deviation from the book, and anyway……we liked it.


BELLA LEAVING WITH JACOB ON THE MOTORCYCLE

Instead of running off with Jacob when Edward was off hunting, Bella jumps on a motorcycle right in front of Edward's face. The day the clip came out, all I heard was "Bella would never do that!" or "Book Bella would have never hurt Edward like that!"

Transcription:

Alison: This is the only disruption in the force so far. The motorcycle clips. Where Bella gets on the motorcycle with Jacob. Our members wanna know, they don’t think that book Bella would have done that, would have ever hurt Edward like that.

SM: I have heard, I have read the comments, and I said the exact same thing. That was one of those days that I flew down. I'm like the way that this you know in the script I said the way that this is written her getting on the back of the bicycle is a direct response here "You lied to me, well I’m going with him” & we were able the day of, they cut down the clip that they played for MTV and stuff, we were able to soften it. We were able to get some lines in and you’ve seen the whole thing, so you know there’s a breakaway we tried to put in….her response to Edward, and then now it becomes about Jacob. “Why haven’t you called me?” We tried as hard as we could to soften, how that went down so it didn’t feel like, something “Well, I’m gonna go get on the back of his motorcycle” because I felt like that was NOT Bella at all & it's not assertive, it’s rude. You know what I mean. It’s not like….

Alison: It’s too reactionary

SM: It’s not like, “I’m a strong female character” It’s like “I’m a jerk”

Alison: We were mad at movie Bella. (Laughs) Book Bella and I were okay, but movie Bella & I were like uh.

SM: That was more or less my same reaction. I think that in the form that it exists in the film……its better now. I think it works somewhat. I still think it’s kind of a stretch that she would do that. You only have so much you can do. That was one I lost. Early in I lost that one. You do what you can do.

Alison: They’ll be happy you agree!


If you want to know what Stephenie had to say about the Volvo, Rob's best day on the set, the re-shoot of the tent scene plus about her being producer on BD head over to Twifans


Source

[Ina Noorazan]

No comments: